Sunday, January 1, 2017

Welcome 2017--Planning ahead--flying time.

Welcome 2017!

For some reason a lot of people are glad to say goodbye to 2016. Learn from it, and don't repeat it!

Let's plan ahead to 2017 and beyond.
What plans do you have? What goals do you want to achieve?

Personally, I am looking forward to February when I again travel to the US.  Again to be a Teta for then next addition.

When I travel, I try the best I can to do my own reservations.  I've found that for the most part you get better fares direct from the airlines.  But know your airlines. And know their schedules---coming and going.

For instance---Royal Jordanian departs from Amman to Chicago (ORD)  at a very civilized hour: 11 AM and arrives at O'Hare at a very reasonable time to catch the flight to OKC and arrive at a convenient hour for everyone.  Albeit after more than 19 hours of flying and laying over.  On the way back, it's a night flight and I usually arrive rested--but will to sleep that night after a 4 pm arrival.

British Airways---I like the 3 bags full allowance! (on Club class). But they leave at the witching hour of 2 am.  And including layovers and connections (LHR and DFW) comes to more than 24 hours.  OK, the service is nice, and the seats are great, but all that going up and down is tiring.  Coming back there's a long wait in Heathrow, and a late 10 pm arrival in Amman.

Air France---no way! A very dark thirty departure, and arrival at 6 am or so at CDG (a horrible airport) with a long layover until midday.  Coming back it's the same. The service onboard is a reflection of the French service attitude--rude and sans courtesie. One time, flying Business to the US, I was standing in the galley waiting for the lavatory to be free.  The hostess, pointing down the aisle,  said to me "You use the lavatory at the back! this is for First and Business passengers."  My response with much disdain: "What do I look like a peon? I'm in seat 5A and I'll use this facility, thank you!" "Oh, pardone moi!," she profusely apologized.

One of the best airlines, is Turkish.  Economy or Business class, the service is excellent, and so is the food.  If you fly the long haul out of Istanbul, expect the best service, and the chef prepares your food in front of you.  I love Istanbul airport.  It is huge! but the lounge is fantastic. Business and First Class passengers can go in for free-show your boarding pass. But for a fee you can also enjoy it. Several food stations--free.  TV, library, games. Storage for your bags. And of course---you can shower and freshen up as well.

On one occasion--and that is the last--we flew with Etihad from Amman to Abu Dhabi before a long (16 hour flight) to Dallas.  The entire flight was 28 hours.  We got a good deal on Business class, but you'd never know it.  The service in Business class was as if we were in "monkey" class on any other carrier.  The seats were not that comfortable, even though they went into a flat bed. I felt like something was constantly poking me.  And for some reason, they couldn't keep the names straight--OK my granddaughter has my first name, but her second and third names are different. Still they had the wheel chair for her, and then set up the seats so the 2 year old sat apart from her mother.  One would think that buying our tickets several months (3) ahead, they'd be able to get it straight!  Not.
Considering the stress and tiring of such a long flight, the savings weren't worth it.  

Travelling is fun. Getting there is the hassle.

Watch here for more details---where to get the best fares---forget the ads, DIY is the best.

Alma Lou

No comments:

Post a Comment